Monday 17 December 2012

All Thrills No Frills Music Bill Christmas mix

This comes from a fluey me, so it's not as thorough in theme/mood as I might usually like. Mostly a pick from what's already on the PC, with a few newly (tonight) ripped songs including additions to my collection/highlights from this calendar year. I thought I'd offer explanations for most rather than just paste a bland list:



1/ Last Christmas: Pullover (simply an apt cover version, and an apt name with it. First heard by me on a Fierce Panda compilation in the 90s, by one of my most beloved 7 inch single bands/indie pop bands of the 90s)
2/ Ice and Snow: Sambassadeur
3/ Doe: Breeders (been having a Breeders phase this year - and now they're reforming to gig. I seem to have psychic powers about that sort of stuff. Anyway, doe, as in deer, as in Christmassy animals. Splendid ones in Richmond park)
4/ Shopping: Pet Shop Boys
5/ Lamina Christus: Isolation Ward (I dug out a Belgian cold wave compilation that I hadn't given the best time of day a couple of years ago, and now which I really adore.)
6/ Whole Wide World: Wreckless Eric (there is a theme linking this song and the next two songs - if you get it, you have good taste, and let me know with a comment your answer! This coincidence happened by accident with song selecting, but placing them together made so much sense)
7/ Turn the Radio Off: Love is All
8/ Shining Road: Cranes
9/ Bill Drummond Said: Julian Cope (for the line about the Christmas treem, of course)
10/ Pink Frost: The Chills
11/ You are the Generation that Bought More Shoes and You get What you Deserve: Johnny Boy
12/ Be My Baby: The Ronettes
13/ Euphoria Take my Hand: Glasvegas
14/ Individuality: Siglo XX
15/ Right Here: Go Betweens (just because)
16/ A Hazy Shade of Winter: Simon and Garfunkel
17/ Northern Lights: Allo Darlin'
18/ Rainy Night in Soho: The Pogues (so much more Christmassy lovely than the obvious one. I love the Pogues, and they are so underrated still)
19/ The Only Place: Best Coast (see #15)
20/ Footprints in Snow: Disco Inferno (always a wintry song for me - plus it always ends mix CDs to perfection with its brilliant ending, which I shan't spoil here)

I'm not feeling like overtly Christmassy songs whatsoever. So this is more of a winter mix this year. If I get chance to dig out any old compilations from previous years, I will post on here....

2 comments:

  1. Love that you've got Bill Drummond and Disco Inferno on here. And that Johnny Boy song is a lost classic. Where can I find your latest issue? When I'm at work or uni, I'm within striking distance of Flashback in Islington or Rough Trade East. Will either of them have it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Glad you like the mix of artists.

    I dont think I'll get to Flashback for a few weeks, sadly. If you'd like it sooner, you could email me about PayPal? I havent distributed this issue as widely as usual but hope to be more organised in new year!

    ReplyDelete